Saturday, May 1, 2010

boats vs books

It's May 1st!

I woke up this morning and looked at the calendar app on my iPod, and I thought to myself, 'hey! Today is the first day of the month! I have a legitimate excuse to pinch and punch my friends!'

And then I thought 'hey, today is the launch of twenty-six stories!'

So... welcome to book one of the project: Cloudstreet by Tim Winton, recommended to me by both my mum and my aunt.

Today my family (and another family) went out to an island in the harbour for a picnic. We were on boat for 40 minutes to get there and back, and while we were heading out, I was LONGING for the book to read, because there are only so many times you can look at the Harbour Bridge and still get excited about it. In the evening things were slightly different. Everything is so pretty at night with all the lights turned on!

Anyway, I have read the first chapter of Cloudstreet and so far I'm enjoying it. The writing is really, really good, and the characters seem set to be enthralling. I am looking forward to seeing where the book goes.

I shall write again soon, updating you on my progress. I have exams the week after next so I have to balance my reading with studying at the moment, and I can't wait until after exams when I can just focus on reading! (and homework and assignments, of course... :P)

Please keep suggesting books and commenting, I have really enjoyed reading your comments!

1 comment: