Sunday, June 13, 2010

novel formats

I recently read Dreaming of Amelia by Jaclyn Moriarty as part of the challenge. This book is the fourth book about the lives of students at Ashbury and Brookfield high schools.

Moriarty's novels are not written in a normal format. They are written through a combination of journal entries, letters, emails, transcripts and, in the case of Dreaming of Amelia, Year 12 English exams.

I find looking at different formats of writing very interesting, being really passionate about writing myself. I think Jaclyn Moriarty's style of writing is incredibly skillful and a very clever way to portray lots of characters and events in one book. I really admire authors who kick the status quo and write in an unconventional style.

The reason I'm writing this post is really to ask your opinion. What do YOU think of books that are written in an unconventional style? Do you prefer normal books in chronological order with one or two clear main characters, or are you open to change? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Hey your blog looks heaps cool!! You must have had some technical help, haha! I saw you're planning on reading Wuthering Heights - its a bit slow, but seriously one of the best books I ever read, good luck!!
    And I like main characters, of course, but unconventional books are always an interesting change :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with "melsyoungestsis". After looking at Emily Bronte in english for the feature article thing we had to do, i appreciated Wuthering Heights much more! Don't let the first two chapters get you down!!!!

    ReplyDelete