Tuesday, June 8, 2010

hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work i go...

So last week I was on work experience, and I had to catch a train and a bus to get there.

It took me up to TWO HOURS to get there/home every morning/afternoon.

Now, I'll let you in on a little secret. As much as I appreciate trains and buses, I DO NOT LIKE WAITING FOR TRAINS AND BUSES!!! And I had to do a lot of waiting.

The good thing about all the public transport was that I got to read a lot of The Elegance of the Hedgehog (by Muriel Barbery) and Dreaming of Amelia (by Jaclyn Moriarty) during the week, on trains and buses. But when waiting for trains and buses, particularly in the city, I could not read.

Firstly, there were no seats, and I feel stupid reading standing up. It makes me feel uneasy.
Secondly, then I'd have to juggle holding my wallet, phone AND a book while standing in a busy place.
Thirdly, I was nervous enough as it is, trying to find my way around in a place that was not so familiar to me and where I was at least a head shorter and five-ten years younger than most other people, that reading while trying to concentrate on all that was hard.

But that made waiting, sometimes for up to twenty minutes, really boring. Like, REALLY boring, particularly as I don't like listening to my iPod in crowds cause it makes me nervous I'm going to miss some sort of announcement. Like, I'll be waiting for a train and the CityRail guy will go (dum dum dum!*) "could all passengers please leave the platform, there is a fire. Thank you for your cooperation" and I won't hear because I'll be listening to Taylor Swift too loudly.

Sigh... I think I must be an impatient person. The Elegance of the Hedgehog will be reviewed shortly!

*that was me trying to imitate the noise that happens in stations before an announcement. I don't think it sounds as good through text...

OH and commenter Jacob? I think I am going to read 1984, maybe after Wuthering Heights and one more book I want to read. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment