Friday, August 6, 2010

real life in books

I LOVE history, there's no denying it. I get intrigued about the way people lived in the past, and secrets that were covered up, and the way what happened before I was born has shaped my life today.

At the moment I'm reading The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta, and I'm really enjoying it. It's the sequel to one of my favourite books, Saving Francesca, but tells the story of a different character, Thomas Mackee.

Lots of the story is about two horrific events: the bombings of the London Underground in 2005, and the Vietnam War. Two of Tom's relatives perished in these events.

Both these events were tragic, but I actually love the way they are used in the book. Real life events have been woven into the story of this novel, and both have shaped Thomas Mackee. I LOVE it when books have aspects of real life in them, such as suburbs or shops I know, or references to celebrities or public figures that I know of. It makes them feel incredibly realistic.

Marchetta is very good at this. She also incorporates song lyrics, including referring to a song that I love by Regina Spektor called Sampson, and saying that Tom secretly loves it (I don't blame him, it's a great great song, look it up!)

So what books have you read that made you say "oh I know that place/song/person!" and made you feel like the book was really believable? Tell me in the comments, I might like to read the book! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment